Science Teacher Explorer
(Where Science and Travel-Exploration Come Together)
Hi! Check out my global-wide travels as a Science Teacher!
Teachers and students are given three months off for summer vacation every year. During this time off I have had the opportunity to explore destinations both far and near. I love exploring the world and want to share these experiences for my friends, family, students and the world to see. That idea inspired me to create scienceteacherexplorer.com; a website aimed at both the travel and education communities. The content will be able to assist travelers, students, educators and anyone interested in gaining more knowledge about the locations I have been fortunate enough to experience. I will review anything and everything from cultural, scientific and historical landmarks.
My Work: J. Lindsay
- Secondary-School Science-Teacher: (August 1988 – Present @ Layton High School in Layton, Utah.
- I am currently teaching Conceptual, Pre-Engineering, & College Physics.
- Additionally, I am currently teaching Astronomy and Meteorology.
- I am currently an Adjunct-Professor for physics @ Salt Lake Community College.
- I’ve taught A.P Physics for 17 years, Oceanography for 2 years, Biology for 1 year, Chemistry for 3 years, Principles of Engineering for 5 years, Engineering Physics for 25 years and Physical-Earth Science for 10 years.
- I’ve taught Homebound/Hospitalized students for 10 years and a community-school Gold-Prospecting class for 11 years.
- I’ve been leader/advisor for a Science, Technology & Environment Club/Explorer-Post at Layton High School for 20 years, (designed to offer students financial support to service projects for the community, science-fair projects, scientific field-trips, scholarship opportunities, guest speakers, and career counseling).
- I’ve led a group of 30 students/teachers/parents to Southern Utah for an annual educational camping-hiking field trip, (an in-depth study of Biology, petrology, historical geology, ecology, plant identification and archeology was presented), for 20 years.
- I’ve contracted, from 2005 to 2011, with the Utah Museum of Natural History to lead educational tours throughout the Western United States. These tours ranged from single to multi-day.
- Graduated from the University of Utah with a B.S.-Degree in Geological Engineering, Mining/Geophysics Exploration Emphasis, 1985.
- Received Teaching-Certificate at Southern Utah State University, 1987.
- Graduated from Mississippi State University with an M.S.-Degree in Geoscience Education, 2004. (Thesis was done in El Salvador, Bahamas)
- Born in Southern Utah, 1960.
- Raised in the beautiful little town of Beaver, Utah.
- 2 older sisters & 1 older brother, (I was the baby).
- My father was the coach, (football, basketball, & Track), and History Teacher at Beaver High School.
- I Graduated from Beaver High School, 1979.
- I participated in Football (Fullback & Defensive Tackle), Wrestling & Track (Sprinter).Born in Southern Utah, 1960.
- My hobbies are scuba diving, hiking, golf, & horsemanship.
- Davis County School District, Secondary Teacher-of-the-Year Award 2002.
- University of Utah, Outstanding High School Teacher in Science & Math Teacher of the year 1999.
- NASA educational Award for Math, Science, & Technology Teacher Award 1996.
- Davis School District Board Honor Award 1997.
- Received a research grant on an oceanographic-schooner out of Woods Hole, Massachusetts and the Naval Acadamy in Annapolis, Maryland.
- Received grants to do research at the Exploratorium in San Francisco, California; the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Green Bank, West Virginia; McDonald Observatory in Texas, United States Naval Academy in Maryland and the American Meteorology Society in Kansas City, Missouri.